Tuesday, September 4, 2012

The Law of Five


Gustav and I were recently zipping around town (Gustav is a zipper.  He just can't keep it under 45 mph.) when the last movement of Dmitri Shostakovich's Symphony Number 5 begin to play on Pandora.  I hadn't listened to it in years, so it was thrilling to once again hear the thundering brass, the wailing strings, the insistent percussion, and the unrelenting misery that is such a hallmark of Shostakovich's music.  While enjoying this sonic feast, I began to think, "There's something special about the number five."

Let's examine the musical examples.  Shostakovich wrote 13 symphonies, and yet which one is the most popular, has the most recordings, and is most loved by the general public?  Number 5, hands down.  There are those of us who prefer others, number 13 is widely admired, and my personal favorite is number 11, but neither of these come close to the mass appeal of number 5.  Sergei Prokofiev composed 7 symphonies.  The first, the Classical Symphony, is performed frequently due to its ease and accessibility, but once again, it is number 5 that is the most popular and most frequently recorded.  And of course I would be remiss if I didn't mention the most famous number 5 of all, Beethoven's.  It is not my favorite Beethoven symphony, I prefer the 7th with it's glorious opening oboe solo (which I have played a few times).  Yet it's opening motive is arguably the most well known 4 notes in all of classical music.  I am old enough that I remember a time when it was used to advertise Alka-Selzter on TV.  I could put in a plug here for the Tchaikovsky 5th and the Sibelius 5th, but I believe the trend is clear.

Lest anyone should scoff, consider these other examples that indicate the supremacy of the number 5;

Star Wars V - The Empire Strikes Back is easily the best of the bunch.  How can you argue with the movie that gave the world the immortal misquote, "Luke, I am your father."

X-Files Season 5 - The best of the X-Files seasons for many reasons.  It was the last to be filmed in Vancouver, it's the season that leads into the movie "Fight the Future," and it contained one of my favorite episodes...

Episode 5 of season 5 of The X-Files - "Post Modern Prometheus" is a black and white film-noir beauty with mob scenes, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, cross-species genetic manipulation and a Cher impersonator lip-synching "Walking in Memphis."  What's not to love?

Henry V - The most beloved of the King Henrys of England (he defeated the French at Agincourt, after all!) and the most popular of Shakespeare's "King" plays.

Five Golden Rings - The best Christmas gift.  Does anyone really want four calling birds or seven maids a milking?

So where does this compelling evidence lead us?  To my new theorem, "The Law of Five."  Simply stated, it is this, that the fifth in a sequence of any creative medium is the best.  I urge all artists everywhere to consider the implications of this new law.  If you are a poet and are having writer's block, just start writing Sonnet V and your woes are over.  If you are a screenwriter, begin with the 5th movie in your franchise and your career is made.  All you choreographers out there, skip to the 5th pas de deux for instant success.

As for me, although I have yet to compose symphonies 1-4, there is a new sign on my studio door;

DO NOT DISTURB
SYMPHONY NO. 5 IN PROGRESS

Dimitri Shostakovich

Ludwig van Beethoven
Sergei Prokofiev


2 comments:

  1. Love it! You are too funny... and maybe on to something here...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't ignore the evidence. Call me when you're on sculpture number 5!

    ReplyDelete